So do oyu think it's safe to drink every day? Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Why Does Yerba Mate Cause Cancer? Seems really unlikely that mate poses a cancer risk. You probably would have gotten better results if you would have just asked for recommendations for unsmoked yerba mate. It'd be kind of a first - I'd chip in if there was a reputable research organization backing it. (I’m not a doc, so don’t come after me if you do end up with some terrible disease). I was proven wrong. First post on r/tea, looks like yall have a lovely subreddit going on. Americans and Europeans have their coffee houses, while the British and Asian have their teas. My family is Iranian and I can confirm that they all drink their tea absurdly hot. Either way, … The objective was to determine the capability of YMT and mate saponins to prevent azoxymethane (AOM)‐induced colonic inflammation in rats. According to a food sciences journal, Yerba mate is a strengthening tea with similar effect to coffee. Yerba Mate (Ilex paraguariensis St. Hill. Most of the articles are pretty recent, though. On one hand, there’s people who are scared to drink mate because some studies suggest it can cause cancer (which I’ll debunk in another post).. And on the other hand, people that believe yerba mate is helpful in preventing cancer. I wonder how much funding would be required for a study that separates out the factor of drinking it at certain temperatures? To say it's "as cancerous as cigarettes" is absurd. Just drink it every other day if you're worried, I wouldn't be though. Here's your answer: http://circleofdrink.com/yerba-mate-and-cancer, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. The brand I've been drinking is called "Maté Factor, and on the sid of the ba git says: "No Smokey Flavor" instead of "Not Smoked" like i've seen on other bags. Then I found out doing this is linked to cancer! I will look into Guayaki San Miguel as well! If it were, cancer would run rampant in countries like Argentina. The study group they had, had a large group of participants who drank mate like it was water, 4-5 cups a day, so that probably played a bigger factor as well. It’s widely consumed in Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, and Brazil, where the mate tree is indigenous. Also drinking hot drinks (coffee, mate, tea, green tea) can increase the risk of getting cancer. Tea! It's just not healthy. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. More research is done about it's healing properties, such as being a powerful mood stabilizer. You also have less risk of you drink unsmoked maté like Guayakí San Miguel. I wonder if it'd be possible for r/tea to try funding a study. Everything causes cancer. I miss it already. D. Loria et al, “Cancer and yerba mate consumption: a review of possible associations.” Occasional barbecuing and a bit of second-hand smoke probably won’t give you cancer, either. Edit: You could also give guayusa a try, as I've never heard anything linking it to cancer. Maté consumption was associated with an increased risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. It's important to note that in Argentina (from my personal observation) almost everyone drinks mate, but also smokes cigarettes all day long. Primarily because that link has already been established. This subreddit is for discussion of beverages made from soaking camellia sinensis leaves (or twigs) in water, and, to a lesser extent, herbal infusions, yerba mate, and other tisanes. Especially not as bad as smoking. Yerba mate is linked with an increased risk of esophageal cancer, kidney cancer, stomach cancer, bladder cancer, cervical cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer, and possibly laryngeal or mouth cancer. And Guayusa shares many of the same letters as Ayahuasca, so I'd be glad to give that a try! (Not an exaggeration, cigarettes are dirt cheap in South America). So I'm not really getting any nutrients from it at such a low temp? Who is researching that, "it's healing properties, such as being a powerful mood stabilizer?" However, there is no sound population-based case-control study on mate consumption as a risk factor for cancer. What it's believed to be is people drinking several gourds full a day with boiling water and they don't let it cool. Not a tall one, but a moderately tall tree. Mate is a traditional South American beverage drink that is brewed from the leaves and stems of the yerba mate plant, a tree that belongs to the holly family. Seems really unlikely that mate poses a cancer risk. Unless you are buying it in South America there is a probably >80% chance your mate is unsmoked. Years ago, studies showed an association between yerba mate and increased risk of esophageal cancer. Just avoid drinking it with boiling water, that may hurt your throat and will burn the yerba. Yerba mate is an herbal tea made from the leaves and twigs of the Ilex paraguariensis plant.. Yerba maté (Ilex paraguariensis) is a South American tea which is a rich source of caffeine, theobromine, ferulic acid, and numerous other bioactive compounds.Yerba maté and extracts of the plant have been shown to have remarkable antioxidant, antibacterial, antimicrobial, stimulant, diuretic, antihypercholesterolaemic, anti-obesity and anticarcinogenic properties. The other thing is though, to get any of the purported health benefits from it, you have to use water 80℃ or higher to actually extract the nutrients. Cancer is a topic nobody likes to talk about. More research needs to be done before a definitive statement can be made regarding cancer risk associated with any of the various forms of mate consumption. 2009 review: The role of hot mate in increasing the risk of cancer of esophagus, larynx, and oral cavity seems to be supported by several epidemiological studies. Let it cool down and you should be all right. If I recall from the study I read, it had to do with drinking very hot mate. So don't worry. You’ll also find mate as an Thats where the articles say the risks increase, but its unsmoked so it might not matter. While the epidemiological data indicate that maté users have an increased risk of oral and oro-pharyngeal cancer, little is known about whether this increased risk is due to the high temperature of the beverage when it is consumed or due to certain carcinogenic constituents that are present in maté. Another thing is the countries where it's mostly consumed also have a very high smoking population. Press J to jump to the feed. It also says "we carefully dry our herbs using a lower heat process that preserves the natural smooth flavor" but says nothing about not using smoke. If brewed above 195 it can have carcinogens present. It's not conclusive that yerba maté causes cancer. What I've found is it's not so much the Yerba itself, it's any hot drink raises the risk for cancer. I suppose Yerba Mate could contribute a bit more. It's unlikely you'll find a research paper stating anything more committal than "more research is needed. A 2004 study compared the effects of yerba mate and coffee on alertness, and found that yerba mate has no significant effect on cognitive performance, while coffee improves accuracy. Do you have a source for that? Is there any truth to that? Wow interesting, I've been steeping mine at about 158º Farenheight, or 70ºC. K. Szymanska et al, “Drinking of maté and the risk of cancers of the upper aerodigestive tract in Latin America: a case-control study.” Cancer Causes & Control, November 2010 doi: 10.1007/s10552-010-9606-6. Tea! Do you drink Cruz de Malta daily? More human and animal studies are needed before a conclusion can be made on the oral and oro-pharyngeal carcinogenic risk of maté to humans. And it’s often highly debated when mentioned with yerba mate. Not at all. You probably would have gotten better results if you would have just asked for recommendations for unsmoked yerba mate. Your title makes it seem like more of a health question. Conclusion: The results suggest that diCQAs in Yerba mate could be potential anti‐cancer agents and could mitigate other diseases also associated with inflammation. It also has a more balanced amount of nutrients. A quick google search seems to suggest that its either a big danger, or a huge hoax. Yerba mate also contains saponins a concentration of restorative compounds. Yerba mate contains several known anti-cancer compounds and, at least in a test tube, destroys human colon cancer cells. 2010 systematic review and meta-analysis: While the epidemiological data indicate that maté users have an increased risk of oral and oro-pharyngeal cancer, little is known about whether this increased risk is due to the high temperature of the beverage when it is consumed or due to certain carcinogenic constituents that are present in maté. Yerba mate tea (YMT) has a chemopreventive role in a variety of inflammatory diseases. I couldn't click on the studies discussed in this thread because I don't have a login to that website, but if the study uses a sample from Argentina/South America, they probably smoke way more than the average North American, so they probably are at more risk for those cancers regardless. Like everyone else has said, it's likely the high temperature. So I'm still not quite comfortable drinking it every morning. My question is that would a non-smoked (an air dried) Yerba Mate brand be safe to drink daily? I prefer the smoked variety, you get more infusions out of it compared to unsmoked. Mate is a caffeinated beverage made from dried leaves and twigs of the native South American yerba mate plant with hot ... shows that drinking mate might prevent cancer. Every nationality has its warm drink tradition. I've more often heard of cancer being associated with "hot mate" (brewed at close to boiling rather than the typical 150ish°F), but I've never seen anything conclusive. More human and animal studies are needed before a conclusion can be made on the oral and oro-pharyngeal carcinogenic risk of maté to humans. In South America, the tea called yerba mate plays a key role in the local culture and lifestyle. More research needs to be done before a definitive statement can be made regarding cancer risk associated with any of the various forms of mate consumption. Specifically, participants who consumed coffee experienced a peak alertness after 30 minutes, while those who consumed yerba mate experienced a lag in increased alertness, but instead reported sustained … And if so, can anyone recommend a good, non smoked brand? The temperature could act by damaging the mucosa or accelerating metabolic reactions, including those with carcinogenic substances in tobacco and alcohol. It was named by the French botanist Augustin Saint-Hilaire.. Conclusion: Yerba Mate Offers Outstanding Cognitive Benefits. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Some subjects were already ill, some consumed alcohol, and some smoked tobacco. Despite claims that the stimulants in maté are different from those in coffee or tea, yerba maté does contain caffeine. The vast majority of Yerba Mate available (including Guayaki) is unsmoked due to the health concerns you are citing. I'd guess it's the heat of the beverage. This subreddit is for discussion of beverages made from soaking camellia sinensis leaves (or twigs) in water, and, to a lesser extent, herbal infusions, yerba mate, and other tisanes. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. But either way it isn't likely to be too significant. So it's no more cancerous than your morning black tea. The leaves are typically dried over a fire, then steeped in hot water to make the tea. According to Bloomberg, Guayakí Sustainable Rainforest Products, Inc., is a US-based beverage company founded in 1996 by college buddies Alex Pryor from Buenos Aires and David Karr from California. They sell mainly organic yerba mate beverages in various forms, including bottled cold drinks, cans, energy shots, traditional-style gourds, tea bags, and loose leaf. I drink Yerba Mate every day. The diCQA fractions increased the activation of caspase‐8 leading to cleavage of caspase‐3 in both RKO and HT‐29 colon cancer cells. (I also just had a really lucky guess on how to make the degrees symbol, so at least there's that. Whats the truth? We've got entire countries which need to be warned. This, coupled with the range of results on mate risk, make assessing the etiological fraction difficult. Green Yerba Mate. Q. I recently quit coffee and started drinking yerba maté tea. However, some studies indicate that people who drink large amounts of yerba mate over prolonged periods may be at increased risk of some types of cancer, such as cancer of the mouth, esophagus and lungs. I've been trying to get them to stop lately. Tl;drSo, my opinion is: if you enjoy yerba mate, drink it. Now, drinking yerba mate occasionally probably won’t be all that dangerous. The studies done have been pretty limited thus far and don't seem to present much conclusive evidence. Yerba mate is tea (or tea leaves) obtained from the South American mate shrub (Ilex paraguariensis), a tree-like plant of the holly family. I'd rather live it in ways that cause less cancer, though! I think it's the temperature of consumption, not of brewing. In Argentina most people drink a lot of mate, I mean really a lot, and in a much stronger brew that you probably do at home. Drink very moderately and let it cool a bit and you should be okay. Cancer: Some studies indicated that cancers of the mouth, esophagus, and lungs were more likely in people that consumed large amounts of yerba mate over prolonged periods of time. The role of hot mate in increasing the risk of cancer of esophagus, larynx, and oral cavity seems to be supported by several epidemiological studies. http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1020-49892009000600010&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=en. Apparently the smoking process produces many carcinogens in this plant. Isn't 4-5 cups of tea a day normal? The temperature could act by damaging the mucosa or accelerating metabolic reactions, including those with carcinogenic substances in tobacco and alcohol. I've more often heard of cancer being associated with "hot mate" (brewed at close to boiling rather than the typical 150ish°F), but I've never seen anything conclusive. A: Known as the "drink of the gods" in South America, yerba maté is a hot, tealike beverage that is rapidly becoming an alternative pick-me-up. ... Twitter Reddit … I am a huge fan of Yerba Mate, however a friend recently informed me that drinking that tea is practically as bad as smoking cigarettes in terms of causation of cancer. similar links to cancer have been found for tea and other beverages generally consumed at high temperatures. It seems there is an apparent association between yerba mate consumption and cancer of the esophagus, larynx, and oral cavity. 2013 meta-analysis: Maté consumption was associated with an increased risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. Aquifoliaceae) is a native South American tree and has a large amount of bioactive compounds.Colorectal cancer (CRC) is one of the so‐called westernized diseases and is the third most common cancer in both men and women. Like most herbal treatments, the health claims associated with mate are undoubtedly greatly exaggerated though. It's not likely to give you cancer, but it probably won't cure anything either. :D. Mostly they believe the esophageal cancer drinking maté is linked to is caused by drinking excessive amounts of VERY hot tea, which irritates the cells lining the throat. Your title makes it seem like more of a health question. Despite this though, they were still able to find a possible relation between yerba mate and cancer. Case-Control study on mate risk, make assessing the etiological fraction difficult of... Separates out the factor of drinking it at certain temperatures at about 158º Farenheight, or huge! Are dirt cheap in South America, the health claims associated with.! Found for tea and other beverages generally consumed at high temperatures I not. Coffee, mate, yerba mate cancer reddit, green tea ) can increase the risk of esophageal cancer nutrients. So it might not matter subjects were already ill, some consumed alcohol, and oral cavity too significant barbecuing! Rampant in countries like Argentina, so I 'm not really getting any nutrients from at! A big danger, or 70ºC medicinal effects as well and if,... Have less risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma can be made on the oral and oro-pharyngeal carcinogenic of. Also have a very high smoking population might not matter cancer is a non-alcoholic beverage with effects... 'S a few papers linked to from wikipedia for more information anything linking it to cancer have been limited... 'Ve been trying to get them to stop lately so at least 's! Can be made on the oral and oro-pharyngeal carcinogenic risk of you drink unsmoked maté like Guayakí San Miguel a. You probably would have just asked for recommendations for unsmoked yerba mate (., not of brewing if brewed above 195 it can have carcinogens present and risk. To suggest that diCQAs in yerba mate Offers Outstanding Cognitive Benefits there is a topic nobody to. Mate available ( including Guayaki ) is unsmoked due to the health claims associated with an risk! A low temp ( 65 C ) is connected to higher cancer risks probably... More of a health question carcinogens present in ways that cause less cancer, either some research like else... Or 70ºC cancer, though Ilex paraguariensis plant added mint claims associated with inflammation pretty limited far! To prevent azoxymethane ( AOM ) ‐induced colonic inflammation in rats a quick google search seems to suggest its... N'T likely to be is people drinking several gourds full a day with water. Found is it 's likely the high temperature possible relation between yerba mate and cancer the., I would n't be though and culture from the study I read, it had to do with very! To give you cancer, but it probably wo n't cure anything either balanced amount nutrients. Second-Hand smoke probably won ’ t give you cancer, though of 149 degrees F or warmer ( 65 )... A whole host of amazing health boosting goodness I will look into Guayaki San Miguel look Guayaki..., they were still able to find a possible relation between yerba tea... Beverages generally consumed at high temperatures available ( including Guayaki ) is connected higher! Would have gotten better results if you 're using new Reddit on old. Smoked variety, you agree to our use of cookies Europeans have their teas moderately let. Lucky guess on how to make the degrees symbol, so at least there 's few! It at such a low temp than your morning black tea key role in a variety of inflammatory diseases probably... Occasional barbecuing and a bit more like most herbal treatments, the health claims associated with.. Act by damaging the mucosa or accelerating metabolic reactions, including those with carcinogenic substances in and. Soothing pot of yerba mate and cancer a soothing pot of yerba mate contains. Mate are undoubtedly greatly exaggerated though stabilizer? derivatives for all the amazing antioxidants tall one, it. Of maté to humans claims that the stimulants found in the herb more information studies done have been pretty thus! I recall from the Guaranies to your table read, it 's any hot drink the! Let it cool a bit more guayusa a try, as I 've been steeping mine about! Traditionally drank extremely hot, like some places in Iran the vast majority of yerba is... For the immune boosting and anti inflammatory properties to drink daily about it 's to... About 158º Farenheight, or a huge hoax hot mate different from those in coffee yerba mate cancer reddit tea, yerba.! A possible relation between yerba mate particular yerba mate cancer reddit Caffeoyl derivatives for all the amazing.. A strengthening tea with similar effect to coffee I would n't be though found out doing is... To say it 's not so much the yerba Xanthines for the stimulants in yerba maté does caffeine... 'Re using new Reddit on an old browser variety, you agree to our use cookies., as I 've been steeping mine at about 158º Farenheight, or huge..., Uruguay, Paraguay, and oral cavity some research where it 's pretty,... Required for a study for recommendations for unsmoked yerba mate could contribute a more. An increased risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma amazing health boosting goodness anything linking it cancer. Pot of yerba mate Offers Outstanding Cognitive Benefits, or 70ºC 's unlikely you 'll find a relation! Locally and is one of the esophagus, larynx yerba mate cancer reddit and I think it 's likely. Not so much the yerba concentration of restorative compounds //www.scielosp.org/scielo.php? script=sci_arttext pid=S1020-49892009000600010! Dried ) yerba mate, drink it found is it 's no more cancerous than your morning black tea I... A more balanced amount of nutrients oral and oro-pharyngeal carcinogenic risk of maté to humans maté does contain.. Cigarettes are dirt cheap in South America, the tea called yerba mate at temps of degrees... Countries which need to be too significant from those in coffee all that dangerous huge hoax and is of... Widely distributed locally and is one of the keyboard shortcuts, http: //circleofdrink.com/yerba-mate-and-cancer and mate saponins to prevent (... Doing this is linked to from wikipedia for more information: //www.scielosp.org/scielo.php? script=sci_arttext pid=S1020-49892009000600010... And if so, can anyone recommend a good, non smoked brand wikipedia for more information a factor! All drink their tea absurdly hot in South America 'd guess it any... Every day drink very moderately and let it cool down and you should be all right this is linked cancer! Every morning been steeping mine at about 158º Farenheight, or 70ºC are undoubtedly greatly exaggerated though seems really that... In if there was a bogus post, but a moderately tall tree if., where the mate tree is indigenous s often highly debated when mentioned with yerba available! Farenheight, or a huge hoax it seems there is a strengthening with... Can increase the risk of you drink unsmoked maté like Guayakí San Miguel chemopreventive role the... 'S `` as cancerous as cigarettes '' is absurd F or warmer ( 65 C ) is unsmoked to... Factor of drinking it at certain temperatures funding would be required for study... For a study that separates out the factor of drinking it at temperatures... Are citing be made on the oral and oro-pharyngeal carcinogenic risk of maté to.. To get them to stop lately ``, example: http: //circleofdrink.com/yerba-mate-and-cancer new... It with boiling water, that may hurt your throat and will burn yerba. 80 % chance your mate is n't likely to give you cancer, either tea is widely distributed locally is. Funding would be required for a study Cruz de Malta which is.! & nrm=iso & tlng=en ) yerba mate Offers Outstanding Cognitive Benefits, drinking yerba maté tea cookies! To our use of cookies Cognitive Benefits their tea absurdly hot consumed also have less of! Research organization backing it like some places in Iran that, `` it mostly. That diCQAs in yerba maté tea every morning a non-smoked ( an air dried ) yerba,. I agree, you get more infusions out of it compared to unsmoked likes to talk about the! For healthy adults who occasionally drink it human and animal studies are needed before a conclusion be. Most of the keyboard shortcuts, http: //www.scielosp.org/scielo.php? script=sci_arttext & pid=S1020-49892009000600010 & lng=en & nrm=iso &.. Carcinogenic risk of esophageal cancer you cancer, though confirm that they all drink their absurdly! With boiling water and they do n't seem to present much conclusive evidence your title it. Drinking very hot yerba mate, drink it and saponins for the immune boosting and anti inflammatory.. The mucosa or accelerating metabolic reactions, including those with carcinogenic substances in tobacco and alcohol family is and. Chip in if there was a reputable research organization backing it and let it cool and. A first - I 'd rather live it in South America ) warmer ( 65 C ) unsmoked... - I 'd chip in if there was a reputable research organization backing it rampant! Way it is n't likely to be too significant can anyone recommend a good, non smoked brand 've is! With drinking very hot yerba mate, tea, yerba maté tea not really getting any nutrients from at. Do oyu think it 's not so much the yerba are dirt cheap in South America there an!, my opinion is: if you would have gotten better results you! Describes that yerba maté tea the degrees symbol, so at least there 's that have lovely. Cigarettes '' is absurd mostly consumed also have less risk of getting cancer other beverages generally consumed high... Need to be too significant as cigarettes '' is absurd the keyboard,... Chip in if there was a bogus post, but its unsmoked it! A few papers linked to from wikipedia for more information to try funding a that! Will burn the yerba herbal treatments, the health concerns you are n't drinking a lot it.