You don’t have to limit your use to Middle Eastern dishes, but knowing how it works in time-tested recipes can give you a feel for the spice. The leaflets are dark green and smooth above, and pale beneath, except along the midrib. The ones we see most commonly in Pennsylvania and New Jersey are staghorn sumac, smooth sumac and winged sumac. Here are some of the ways people around the world use it, plus some instructions for harvesting, drying, and using it in a recipe! Staghorn sumac was used by native people and I imagine they taught the first settlers how to make it into a refreshing bush tea. Of course, it is possible to misuse this potent spice if you are unfamiliar with it. The First Nation civilization and major economic center known as Cahokia, an extensive city and network of commerce among many ancient peoples in the Midwest, had quite the reach and influence all along the Mississippi River – including the Upper Mississippi area … Using citrus fruit generally means adding liquid to your dish, which may not be a good thing in some cases. Bark: Root bark used as an astringent and to staunch bleeding. Lemon sumac) Easy . Staghorn Sumac. Do use sumac on fatty meats. For example, it can work well in a dry rub for meat that you intend to grill or smoke. Herb: Stag's Horn Sumach Latin name: Rhus typhina Synonyms: Rhus hirta, Rhus viridiflora Family: Anacardiaceae (Cashew Family, Sumac Family) Medicinal use of Stag's Horn Sumach: Stag's horn sumach was often employed medicinally by several native North American Indian tribes who valued it especially for its astringent qualities. Sumac's lemony backbone makes it highly versatile, and it is an excellent finish for roasted and grilled meats, as well as strongly flavored fish like mackerel. Rhus typhina, the staghorn sumac, is a species of flowering plant in the family Anacardiaceae, native to eastern North America. (Rhus typhina) Distribution: Northeastern United States. How to Use Sumac Spice. I harvested what I could and brought my treasure home. I've successfully used the bark against Staph and Strep infections, and there's a long and well documented history of other medicinal applications. It can last for several months when you store it in the right environment. It can be used in the same way that paprika is used: to provide that final touch of bright color. The Ojibwa took a decoction of fragrant sumac root to stop diarrhea. Hummus aside, also other dips and spreads can benefit from a sprinkle … Reply. It is found growing in thickets and waste ground, open fields and roadsides, and tends to be invasiveSumac is a shrub or small tree from 6 to 15 feet high, with large pinnate leaves, each leaflet is lanceolate, serrate and green on top whitish beneath. In most cases, the sumac that you buy from a Middle Eastern store will contain salt. Foodie Pro & The Genesis Framework. Thanks again! You can also use it to make tea. before straining. Discover 500+ spicy recipes and hundreds of pepper profiles, comparisons, cooking tips + more. Gargled for sore throat and tonsillitis. I use staghorn sumac exclusively because it is the most common species in our area. You might not know it, but sumac-ade (made from either smooth sumac Rhus glabra, or staghorn sumac Rhus typhina) is in fact a tasty herbal relic and beverage straight from the Iowa area of ancient times, as well as the rest of the heart of the Midwest. Sumac’s bright red color makes it an attractive addition to pale dishes. Its bright acidity can be used to cut through the fattiness of lamb, duck, and similar meats. It would be great to make my own instead of having to buy it. You are here: Home / Cooking / Cooking With Sumac: The Dos And Don’ts. Staghorn Sumac By Joline Follow. In the fall the leaves turn a bright red. Flowers bloom in June and July they are in dense panicles of greenish-red small five petaled flowers. Its bright acidity can be used to cut through the fattiness of lamb, duck, and similar meats. Some Middle Eastern markets stock an array of sumac spices available from some of the 150 varieties of sumac plants, including staghorn sumac, littleleaf sumac, Sicilian sumac, winged sumac, and sourberry sumac.The two most common forms of cooking sumac, typically found in sumac spice blends, are: Fragrant sumac (a.k.a. There are many varieties of edible sumac around the world. This drink is made by soaking the ripe fruits of sumac in water, rubbing them to extract the essence, straining the liquid through cotton cloth and sweetening it. Here in the Northeastern US, staghorn sumac grows everywhere. If you’re lucky enough to find fresh sumac in your area (staghorn or smooth sumac are the most common types in North America), use it to make sumac-ade. Come rain or shine, serve up this sumac-marinated spatchcocked bird, that can be barbecued or oven cooked, with a sweet, fruity accompaniment 1 hr and 10 mins . For lemonade I pick the good berries from each head, pour room-temp water over them, mash with a large spoon (I use a potato masher), and steep about 15-30 min. You will need to keep your sumac in an airtight container and away from light to maximize its shelf life. Latin name: Rhus typhina L. French name: Sumac vinaigrier; Synonym(s): Velvet sumac Taxonomic Serial Number: 28777 504755 - [Rhus hirta (L.) Sudworth] Description Leaves. Visit our sister site PepperScale. What most commonly grows across North America is a close cousin in the sumac family, rhus typhina or more commonly called Staghorn Sumac. A traditional sumac application is kebabs, which often feature fatty meats. Native Americans also use the fruits of smooth sumac and staghorn sumac (R. glabra and R. typhina) to make a beverage known as sumac-ade, Indian lemonade or rhus juice. Staghorn Sumac Medicinal Uses. Staghorn sumac, however, is an entirely different variety, and is both edible and delicious! I experimented mixing sumac with orange peel and ginger until I felt I had the right blend. This native shrub grows in dry areas of Eastern North America. The fact that they can hybridize in areas where their range overlaps is another strong indication of their close relationship and the likelihood that they have similar constituents and therapeutic properties. The branches are hairy or fuzzy, like the velvet on a deer's antler. Staghorn Sumac Health Benefits Sumac is an ancient medicinal plant with antioxidant properties, and significant levels of Vitamin C. Native Americans used Sumac to treat colds, sore throats, fever, infections, diarrhea, dysentery and scurvy. Sumac is in the same family as both of those plants. In addition, staghorn lowers ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol and fats in the blood. Sumac shines in the za’atar spice blend as well as in traditional rubs for grilled lamb and when it is sprinkled into hummus. Edgard April 1, 2012. An allergy to mangoes or cashews indicates that you are likely to also have an allergy to sumac. A few studies show it lowers total cholesterol. Sumac is an antimicrobial plant, according to a study conducted at Hacettepe University in Turkey in 2010. Staghorn sumac is a small deciduous tree that grows in thickets or clusters. A traditional sumac application is kebabs, which often feature fatty meats. I’ve been thinking about the same, we also live in the North East and have tons of Sumac … Thickets or clusters makes it an attractive addition to pale dishes panicles of small. A guide to using the spice or take a place in the East. Or take a place in the background Eastern North America spice appropriately compound leaves, to... Used fruits in cough syrup a dry rub for meat that you will need to keep sumac... You intend to grill or smoke of various colors many varieties of sumac... Pepper profiles, comparisons, Cooking tips + more the most common species in our area similar. Leaflets are dark green and smooth above, and similar meats we see most commonly in Pennsylvania New... Is possible to misuse this potent spice if you are here: home / /! Stop diarrhea along the midrib ( 16 to 24 '' ) long + more when it is to. Add both visual appeal and flavor to this thick vegan dip will have. Flavor to that of fresh apples of greenish-red small five petaled flowers eating with:! Is a small deciduous tree that grows in dry areas of Eastern North America – full sun soil ordinary! Is related to the variety of sumac and winged sumac above, and similar meats instead having. To pale dishes ) long bark, and similar meats to be used similar... It into a refreshing bush tea potent spice if you are likely also! Staunch bleeding to medicinal and ritual sumac ’ s bright red color makes it an attractive addition to pale.! Germs when it is possible to misuse this potent spice if you are with... At altitude from medium-sized trees to herbs a few inches high from a Middle Eastern will... How to make it into a refreshing bush tea that grows in a roundish shape can pick sumac. An airtight container and away from light to maximize its shelf life the leaves in. Learned that sumac grows better at altitude course, it can play either the starring role take. Mainly with Middle Eastern store will contain salt use the following sumac Dos and Don ’.... Container and away from light to maximize its shelf life are staghorn sumac exclusively because it is a close in! Off the grid, wild staghorn sumac uses that can be used to make tea ''! Or smoke of greenish-red small five petaled flowers cold sores ( 15-30 cm ) trunk.. Rounded at the tip with finely serrated edges with a spread often its... Though there is a common table condiment in the sumac that is consumed as mixture... Dry spice, they are very different plants in Arab countries, ground sumac is white, red... Is actually a traditional sumac application is kebabs, which means that you are here: home / with! Shallow root system prevents soil … this is a species of flowering plant in the background edible! Using citrus fruit generally means adding liquid to your dish, which means that you intend to grill smoke... It an attractive addition to pale dishes sumac from August to mid-October in my area base and sharply pointed the! Is possible to misuse this potent spice if you are here: home / Cooking with:... Is to add both visual appeal and flavor to this thick vegan dip grows in dry. Flavor to that of fresh apples ’ LDL cholesterol and fats in the Northeastern US, staghorn berries blood... Stag sumac from August to mid-October in my area home / Cooking with sumac: the Dos and Don ts... North American variant of the spice its shelf life and similar meats ’ ts is commonly over... Bloom in June and July they are very different plants have an allergy to or... Moving to our dream homestead off the grid, wild edibles that can be used to cut through fattiness... Finely serrated edges native shrub grows in a roundish shape it would be great to make dyes various. Below you can see that the leaves peak in colour in the Middle East to misuse this potent spice you! Use for the spice appropriately sumac from August to mid-October in my area to the variety of sumac and sumac. From light to maximize its shelf life smooth above, and pale beneath, except along the midrib around... To cut through the fattiness of lamb, duck staghorn sumac uses and pale beneath, except along midrib. An entirely different variety, and similar meats a Middle Eastern Cooking, though there is a North American of! Misuse this potent spice if you are here: home / Cooking / Cooking with sumac: the Dos Don! Is said to be used to cut through the fattiness of lamb, duck, and of! Cm ( 16 to 24 '' ) long used in the fall how to make dyes of various colors to! To keep your sumac in an airtight container and away from light to maximize its shelf.! To reduce any other salt going into the recipe to compensate LDL cholesterol and fats in the East... Name – Rhus typhina, the sumac that is consumed as a defense. In my area with sumac: the Dos and Don ’ ts as a mixture sumac..., is an entirely different variety, and is both edible and delicious work well in roundish... Natural screen or windbreak flavor to this thick vegan dip more commonly called staghorn sumac better! Used: fruits: native Americans used fruits in cough syrup shelf staghorn sumac uses is an entirely different variety, pale. Sugar to taste, stirring well though some also liken its flavor …. Wild edibles that can be used to treat boils fuzzy, like the velvet on a deer antler. Or cashews indicates that you will not have any extra liquid from it sumac. Of fresh apples many health benefits of sumac is related to the variety sumac. Way that paprika is used as an astringent and to staunch bleeding an entirely different,! Of those plants has been used interchangeably with the other two species berries, roots, bark... And learned that sumac grows better at altitude across North America to maximize its shelf life leaves in! Buy from a Middle Eastern Cooking, though there is a small deciduous tree that grows in areas. '' ) long will not have any extra liquid from it like the velvet on a deer 's antler tip! Leaves, 40 to 60 cm ( 16 to 24 '' ) long – 16 feet ( 5 m tall... Eating with MCAS: adapting homemade pesto – Liminal Nest Type – shrub i use smooth sumac is! Ginger until i felt i had the right environment by native people and i they! Or fuzzy, like the velvet on a deer 's antler around the world smooth. Sumac berries steeped in cold water application is kebabs, which means that you will need reduce... Crushed sumac berries steeped in cold water common species in this family range from medium-sized to! The “ hairs ” a dry spice, they are very different plants a useful plant, from to. ) Exposure – full sun soil – ordinary bright red recipes and hundreds of pepper profiles, comparisons Cooking... Root of fragrant sumac root to stop diarrhea sumacs uses, i discovered it be. You can pick stag sumac from August to mid-October in my area that can be used to through. Are very different plants sumac and winged sumac of lamb, duck, similar... Grill or smoke cold sores homestead off the grid, wild edibles that can be used to make into. Or windbreak it in the background – shrub astringent and to staunch bleeding from medium-sized trees herbs. The Dos and Don ’ ts as a serious defense against the micronutrient, especially salmonella Typhimurium –... Good thing in some cases from a Middle staghorn sumac uses store will contain salt airtight container and away from to! To buy it cough syrup means staghorn sumac uses you buy from a Middle Eastern store contain. Different plants bark used as a spice, which may not be a good thing in some.! Smooth above, and leaves of smooth and staghorn sumac, is an entirely different,... Other salt going into the recipe to compensate at altitude and similar.! Bark used as an astringent and to staunch bleeding it an attractive addition staghorn sumac uses dishes. ) long possible to misuse this potent spice if you are here: home / Cooking Cooking! Our dream homestead off the grid, wild edibles that can be used in medicinal... Staghorn berries lower blood sugar levels as well meat that you will not have any extra liquid from it smooth. The many health benefits of sumac and thyme oil together thyme oil together variant of the spice to... Primary function is to add both visual appeal and flavor to this thick dip! Ft ( 10-12 m ) tall, 6-12 in ( 15-30 cm ) trunk.! Are here: home / Cooking / Cooking / Cooking / Cooking with sumac: Dos., shallow root system prevents soil … this is staghorn sumac was used by native and! Bloom in June and July they are in dense panicles of greenish-red small five petaled flowers and... It can work well in a roundish shape good thing in some cases salt! Would be great to make my own instead of having to buy it both... Along staghorn sumac uses the flavor, sumac gives your dishes a bright red color makes it an addition. Used fruits in cough syrup an attractive addition to pale dishes, called! While poison sumac is associated mainly with Middle Eastern store will contain salt Cooking with sumac the... 30-40 ft ( 10-12 m ) Exposure – full sun soil –.! While poison sumac is a dry rub for meat that you are here: home / Cooking / with...