Start by marking “A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain” as Want to Read: Error rating book. Teaching A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain. His stories have appeared in The New Yorker, Esquire, The Paris Review, and The Saturday Review, as well as in four annual editions of the Best American Short Stories and six annual editions of New Stories of the South. This is on my short list of best collections of short stories I have ever read. sugar. The first time I read this book, I did it in a sitting. I have never met someone similar to one of them in my whole life, and I am 54 years old. I don't like the idea of putting narrow restrictions on a writer's imagination - why shouldn't Butler imagine these voices? They are the stories of Vietnamese refugees, written in first person by Robert Olen Butler, a white American. A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain. Amazon.in - Buy Good Scent from a Strange Mountain: Stories book online at best prices in India on Amazon.in. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. I thought, "a bad translation." (the expectations are high for a Pulitzer Prize winner. Then that is the book that deserves a solid 5 stars. Such categorization displeased the author, who stated, “Artists get at deeper truths.” Some of Butler’s earlier works had also drawn criticism because he told the stories from a point of view that was not his own—that is, he took on the role of a Vietnamese person. We’d love your help. The politics of the Vietnamese refugees continue after they have arrived in America, as their new home country looks to deal with the newly Communist united Vietnam. I highly recommend this short story collection. First let me say, “Damn you Robert Olen Butler. In Olen Butler's A GOOD SCENT FROM A STRANGE MOUNTAIN, there is "Salem" the short story of a Vietnamese soldier that keeps a pack of Salem cigarettes that he recovered from a dead American soldier that he had killed. (2001). The A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain lesson plan contains a variety of teaching materials that cater to all learning styles. I feel bad giving this book only one star since it won the Pulitzer, but I did not like this book at all. Robert Olen Butler. A collection of his stories, A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain… Just feast your eyes upon all of these debut books to check out and emerging authors to... To see what your friends thought of this book. I had been transported to another world and I only realized this once those gigantic Southern bugs started to land on my page and I heard the faint whimper of my dog as she stared at me through the sliding glass doors—probably wondering what in the world I was doing sitting outdoors without her. In an interview he remembers the time he spent in the country: Even as the light purple hues of dusk shifted into night, I sat still, completing this book. It just reeks of uncomfortable colonialism. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. Order your non-plagiarized essay and have "A+" grades or get access to database of 505 a good scent from a strange mountain … Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain at Amazon.com. Robert Olen Butler has published twelve novels “The Alleys of Eden, Sun Dogs, Countrymen of Bones, On Distant Ground, Wabash, The Deuce, They Whisper, The Deep Green Sea, Mr. Spaceman, Fair Warning, Hell and (forthcoming this August) A Small Hotel.” Plus, six volumes of short fiction “Tabloid Dreams, Had a Good … It received the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1993. its like someone telling me about what they ate for lunch that day...and that's it, end of story. The writing felt like it was put through a strainer to become stiff and bland. The first edition of the novel was published in 1992, and was written by Robert Olen Butler. Dramatic, surprising, funny, they run the gamut. Good Scent From A Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler available in Trade Paperback on Powells.com, also read synopsis and reviews. This is long, too long to read when sleepy. Like playing pin the tail on the donkey. Have not been moved this way since Jhumpa Lahiri's (also Pulitzer Prize-winning) "Interpreter of Maladies.". In a 2000 interview with powell.com, Butler claimed, “Of the fifteen narrators in A Good Scent, not one of them has a real life counterpart.” (Murgatroid, 2000).For example in the titular story A Good Scent from A Strange Mountain, Thang, Loi and Dao’s daughters lives are shaped by their ongoing experiences of difference, dislocation, acculturation on their path to closure from the pain, confusion, and anguish the … A Good Scent From a Strange Mountain Questions and Answers. (I should add that I haven't heard any criticism yet of non-whites writing in "white" voices but I suppose that may not be politically correct.) New York: Grove Press. This book is my absolute favorite book of all time. 249 pp. The author worked as a translator during the war and pa. As in all short-story collections, this one is fairly irregular with some stories seeming more like doodles and others running a little long but this collection is generally very, very good. First, several of these stories are stunning and do what great short stories do. Refresh and try again. However, I found one or two to be good, but not great. As in all short-story collections, this one is fairly irregular with some stories seeming more like doodles and others running a little long but this collection is generally very, very good. The quality of stories ranges from superb to breathtaking. The stories felt honest to me, real, and even without being Vietnamese, I could still feel the humanity in a people divided and forced to choose by events beyond their control. You would not think as such; so much does Robert Olen Butler totally immerse himself into the trials and tribulations of a Vietnamese living, loving and suffering on the US shores. But the effect accumulates nicely and is very moving. So, I actually really liked a lot of these stories, but this book bothered me because all the stories are narrated by Vietnamese or Vietnamese Americans and the author is white. Robert Olen Butler is the author of 12 novels and six short story collections, including A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain, which won the 1993 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. I didn't throw it, but I definitely didn't like it very much. Thought of it again this week while reading. bed, in the dim light from the open shade. 'A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain' (lovely title) is made up of twelve separate stories told from the perspective of Vietnamese immigrants in the USA - most of the stories are set in Louisiana - and, as the writer served in the Vietnamese War as an interpreter, we have to trust his knowledge of Vietnamese perception and culture. In many of the stories I cried, and I laughed. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler (1992, Hardcover, Revised edition) at the best online prices at eBay! After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages that interest you. A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain is Robert Olen Butler’s Pulitzer Prize–winning collection of lyrical and poignant stories about the aftermath of the Vietnam War and its enduring impact on the Vietnamese. Even if the stories are from a Vietnamese person's point of view, and even. The prose is first-rate, with imageries that jump off the page. Free shipping for many products! A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain: Stories by Robert Olen Butler (2001-05-10): Robert Olen Butler: Books - Amazon.ca 69. In THE THINGS THEY CARRIED by Tim O'Brien he has a short story about the young enemy soldier that he killed by throwing a hand grenade at him. Of course, these are not translated stories. Some of the most beautiful stories I've ever read. In Olen Butler's A GOOD SCENT FROM A STRANGE MOUNTAIN, there is "Salem" the short story of a Vietnamese soldier that keeps a pack of Salem cigarettes that he recovered from a dead American soldier that he had killed. If I can believe that I am changed. There will always be criticism of a white man writing in the voice of something of a different ethnic group. The author described the Vietnamese characters so gloomily. There's a reason this won the Pulitzer. This book makes. Short stories are not my favorites (I prefer a long book in which I can wallow) and sort of automatically come with a max of 4 stars. Some of the shorter stories are not great, but the great ones (Mr. Green, Love, and the American Couple) are truly great. 249 pp. The book was published in multiple languages including English, consists of 269 pages and is available in Paperback format. In 1992 a collection of these stories was published as this book, A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain. A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain is Robert Olen Butler’s Pulitzer Prize–winning collection of lyrical and poignant stories about the aftermath of the Vietnam War and its enduring impact on the Vietnamese. You MUST read this one! After the fall of Saigon at the end of the Vietnam War in 1975, more than three million refugees fled the country, with about half settling in the United States. The stories could be revealing about the Vietnamese immigrant's experience in America, but the writing style is off-putting and frankly, doesn't make much sense to me. if this book won the pulitzer prize, i can only imagine how dull the competition must've been that year. We are thankful … I can hear him working on it. Robert Olen Butler. Walmart # 558419960. Written in a soaring prose, Butler’s haunting and powerful stories blend Vietnamese folklore and contemporary American realities, creating a vibrant panorama that is epic in its scope. While a few of the stories read more like retellings of myths, they are still so unique and melodic that I give this a 5. A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler starting at $0.99. I wish these kinds of books would not appear in the world's literature. Chicago / Turabian - Author Date Citation (style guide). I forgot that I finished this finally. The stories are set in Louisiana, and focus on the fictional lives of Vietnamese-Americans who have left their home behind. Because of his facility with language, Butler was first assigned to master the complexly musical Vietnamese language, so that he could serve as a translator-liaison between the American military and their South Vietnamese counterparts. nothing special, they just ate lunch. The Question and Answer section for A Good Scent From a Strange Mountain is a great resource to ask questions, find answers, and discuss the novel. Free shipping for many products! The dust jacket promised "lyrical" but delivered "short and choppy" instead. The book was published in multiple languages including English, consists of 269 pages and is available in Paperback format. The main characters of this fiction, short stories story are , . War becomes a different thing for both of them. New York: Henry Holt & Company. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. it would've received one star from me, but i learned about the vietnamese people and their culture, so for that, i give credit. I thought, "a bad translation." 69 $13.69 $ 13. A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain Biography of Robert Olen Butler. And they were certainly a success - he won the Pulitizer prize! but Lord, how i had to force myself to continue. A Good Scent From A Strange Mountain Stories (Book) : Butler, Robert Olen : Robert Olen Butler's lyrical and poignant collection of stories about the aftermath of the Vietnam War and its impact on the Vietnamese was acclaimed by critics across the nation and won the Pulitzer Prize in 1993. The politics of the Vietnamese refugees continue after they have arrived in America, as their new home country looks to deal with the newly Communist united Vietnam. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. I want to respond the reviewer who complained that the writing was too subtle. They are the stories of Vietnamese refugees, written in first person by Robert Olen Butler, a white American. What's that Ma'am? Includes two subsequently published stories that complete the collection's narrative journey, returning to the jungles of Vietnam. A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain. Buy a cheap copy of A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain:... book by Robert Olen Butler. The immigrant stories are all concentrated in the Vietnamese communities around New Orleans - one for those from the North and one for those from the South - and focus on what was gained and what was lost, similar to the stories of those who chose to stay. Butler weaves themes and phrases from one part of a story throughout the rest of the story to perfection. Robert Olen Butler''s lyrical and poignant collection of stories about the aftermath of the Vietnam War and its impact on the Vietnamese was acclaimed by critics across the nation and won the Pulitzer Prize in 1993. He has his lapses. 1st Grove Press ed. Inside you'll find 30 Daily Lessons, 20 Fun Activities, 180 Multiple Choice Questions, 60 Short Essay Questions, 20 Essay Questions, Quizzes/Homework Assignments, Tests, and more. It involves a grandfather, slowly dying, and seeing the vision of Ho Chi Minh , with whom he worked and lived. The writing felt like it was put through a strainer to become stiff and bland. by Robert O. Butler A Good Scent From a Strange Mountain Analysis These notes were contributed by members of the GradeSaver community. fascinated by vietnam? Butler's writing in the voice of people of another culture feels so authentic because he served with army intelligence in Vietnam in 1971 and worked as an interpreter to Saigon's mayor. He put the traits of the characters in William Faulkner's books into the Vietnamese characters in his book. (By the way, I don't like Faulkner's writings). Ho Chi Minh smoked Salems and he wants to keep them as a shrine. I didn't throw it, but I definitely didn't like it very much. You like Maeve Binchy? This was something of a surprise to me, the first time I saw him beside my. And then I proceeded to read it twice more in a 48 hour span. The first edition of the novel was published in 1992, and was written by Robert Olen Butler. So, I didn't realize this was a book of short stories until I started it. $19.95. After having read this book, I will never think about the Vietnam war--or any war for that matter--or the refugee experience--in the same way. Need writing essay about a good scent from a strange mountain? Then, couple of years later, I clandestinely read his earlier short story collection, Good Scent From a Strange Mountain. It involves a grandfather, slowly dying, and seeing the vision of Ho Chi Minh , with whom he worked and lived. Even before publication of A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain,Butler had already established his reputation as a writer of Vietnam fiction. “I can speak these words and perhaps you can see these things clearly because you are using your imagination. In THE THINGS THEY CARRIED by Tim O'Brien he has a short story about the young enemy soldier that he killed by throwing a hand grenade at him. Select Option. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. This collection of inter-related short stories are told in many different voices: housewives, pregnant woman, a lonely businessman - and we grow to care about each one as a unique individual. Drawing on his experiences as a translator and spy during the Vietnam War, in 1992 American author Robert Olen Butler published a collection of short stories about refugees from that war. This page works best with JavaScript. It is known that this book A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain was a great success with the readers and even won the Pulitzer prize for fiction in 1993. The prose is first-rate, with imageries that jump off the page. 'A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain' (lovely title) is made up of twelve separate stories told from the perspective of Vietnamese immigrants in the USA - most of the stories are set in Louisiana - and, as the writer served in the Vietnamese War as an interpreter, we have to trust his knowledge of Vietnamese perception and culture. The book A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain written by Robert Olen Butler, a famous modern American fiction writer, consists of several short stories which are narrated by the Vietnamese who live in the United States of America. I taught me to pay attention to life. This is an absolutely amazing collection of stories about the Vietnamese experience in the 20-year-aftermath (at the time this collection was published) of the Vietnam war. Fast, FREE delivery, video streaming, music, and much more. In 1993, this book won the Pulitzer - and somehow I'd never heard of it till recently. Written in a soaring prose, Butler's haunting and powerful stories blend Vietnamese folklore and contemporary American realities, creating a vibrant panorama that is epic in its scope. A stunning book made even more stunning by the fact that the writer is non-Vietnamese. Depressing, too, as some naysayers have complained, which does seem to limit their appeal to some. His first books earned good reviews but meager sales, until he won the Pulitzer Prize in 1993 for A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain, a startling collection of interconnected short stories told from the Vietnamese perspective. They are lost to me.”, “They are in the shapes of dragons and unicorns and stars and boats and horses and hares and toads. Welcome back. Exemplary short story collection! A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain By: Robert Olen Butler Published: 1992 A Mixed Bag of Short Stories I love me some short stories and vignettes. Some are set in Vietnam. I got caught up in the Tabloid Dreams hysteria that gripped my circle of co-workers for three weeks back in 1996, forcing countless unsuspecting Calgarians to buy the collection of short stories. "A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain" is the final story. Back in my book selling days, Robert Olen Butler's Tabloid Dreams was, shortly after it came out, THE book all the cool kids working in bookstores were recommending to anyone who cared for a recommendation from a kid in a bookstore. This was something of a surprise to me, the first time I saw him beside my. Free delivery on qualified orders. These stories are haunting, melancholy and beautiful. When I heard it won the Pulitzer it gave me hope for the prizes, unlike some other selections. What's that Ma'am? Yes, it is a collection of short stories. My oldest daughter leaves my shades open, I think so that I will not forget that the sun has … Such categorization displeased the author, who stated, “Artists get at deeper truths.” Some of Butler’s earlier works had also drawn criticism because he told the stories from a point of view that was not his own—that is, he took on the role of a Vietnamese person. A Good Scent From a Strange Mountain Questions and Answers. The phrase is a translation of … I was excited to find a short story… I don't think I would have read it if that had not happened, so I am very glad to be on this journey, reading the complete list of winners. New York: Henry Holt & Company. Butler says that this uncommon access compelled him to "fall in love" with the Vietnamese people and their ancient culture, and that love shines in the remarkable set of stories compiled in "A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain." Now Grove Press is proud to reissue this contemporary classic by one of America's most important living writers, in a new edition of A Good Scent from a Strange … The book A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain written by Robert Olen Butler, a famous modern American fiction writer, consists of several short stories which are narrated by the Vietnamese who live in the United States of America. The Man I Killed is the focus of these two stories, there are people out there in these wars and when these two men focus on that. A GOOD SCENT FROM A STRANGE MOUNTAIN By Robert Olen Butler. Worth your time, I love reading short stories and this book has excellent short stories with all the Vietnamese refugee as narrators. This collection of short stories, of the Vietnamese affected by the war, is probably the best collection of short stories I have ever read. When you read each story and think about it, it brings out so many feelings about yourself and the meaning of life, and how precious it is. Only now, after fourteen years, do I dare admit it - Good scent is a better book. Fluent in Vietnamese, he said his favorite time was walking the back streets of Saigon and crouching in the doorways, getting to know a people that he considers to be some of the most warm-hearted and open people he has ever known. ), This is an absolutely amazing collection of stories about the Vietnamese experience in the 20-year-aftermath (at the time this collection was published) of the Vietnam war. A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain is a 1992 collection of short stories by Robert Olen Butler.It received the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1993.. Each story in the collection is narrated by a different Vietnamese immigrant living in the U.S. state of Louisiana.The stories are largely character-driven, with cultural differences between Vietnam and the United States as an important theme. With great sensitivity, Robert Olen Butler introduces us to the colorful lives of Vietnamese immigrants in Louisiana. stories end without a purpose or even hint of closure. Robert Olen Butler's lyrical and poignant collection of stories about the aftermath of the Vietnam War and its impact on the Vietnamese was acclaimed by critics across the nation and won the Pulitzer Prize in 1993. I'm thrilled that his new book returns to the ways America became connected to Vietnam. It looks like they are backward kinds of people, who are incoherent in their thinking, crazy in their behaviors, superstitious in their beliefs, and sad in their moods. For three decades Vietnamese have played the foils in an American psychodrama. Verified Purchase. room for boredom in your life? Like all on this site, I'm a voracious reader. Now Grove Press is proud to reissue this contemporary classic by one of America's most important … A collection of his stories, A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain… It is known that this book A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain was a great success with the readers and even won the Pulitzer prize for fiction in 1993. I forgot that I finished this finally. Oddly, the story that had the strongest and most-likely-to-go-wrong voice (Fairy Tale) was the only one I liked. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. I have to disagree strongly, especially about the long story, "The American Couple." Back in my book selling days, Robert Olen Butler's Tabloid Dreams was, shortly after it came out, THE book all the cool kids working in bookstores were recommending to anyone who cared for a recommendation from a kid in a bookstore. They were unable to return to Vietnam, which had been transformed into an unrecognizable place that posed danger to those who … $13.69 $ 13. Read Good Scent from a Strange Mountain: Stories book reviews & author details and more at Amazon.in. Robert Olen Butler's lyrical and poignant collection of stories about the aftermath of the Vietnam War and its impact on the Vietnamese was acclaimed by critics across the nation and won the Pulitzer Prize in 1993. The Question and Answer section for A Good Scent From a Strange Mountain is a great resource to ask questions, find answers, and discuss the novel. nobody thinks in language this choppy, and though ESL speakers might not speak as eloquently in English, it doesn't mean their thoughts are disorganized and choppy. Oddly, the story that had the strongest and most-likely-to. Butler weaves themes and phrases from one part of a story throughout the rest of the story to perfection. APA Citation (style guide). A Good Scent From A Strange Mountain Stories (Book) : Butler, Robert Olen : Butler's Pulitzer Prize-winning collection of stories about the aftermath of the Vietnam War and its impact on the Vietnamese is reissued. All are beautiful. 2001. It was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1993. A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain is Robert Olen Butler's Pulitzer Prize–winning collection of lyrical and poignant stories about the aftermath of the Vietnam War and its enduring impact on the Vietnamese. The dust jacket promised "lyrical" but delivered "short and choppy" instead. This collection of short stories is built in such a way that all the characters are interrelated and serve to develop the main theme of the book: to depict both the Vietnamese and the Americans. Why then you will adore Tabloid Dreams! Once in Vietnam, Butler used his fluency for a more humane pursuits: When off-duty he went into the streets in civilian garb, conversing with common people in doorways, homes and businesses -- a crucial tutorial in their character, attitudes, history and culture. 3.0 out of 5 stars Review for Audio Version Reviewed in the United States on September 19, 2007 Yes, A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain won the Pulitzer, so I had to get it. I think that writers CAN write from other points of view (just like readers can read and understand different points of view than their own) but all but one narrator rang false; what I heard behind the "Vietnamese" voice was always a white guy, probably from the midwest, who maybe went to Vietnam for a while. I knew it was a Pulitzer Price winner and that was enough to make me grab it. A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain is a 1992 collection of short stories by Robert Olen Butler. A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain is Robert Olen Butler's Pulitzer Prize–winning collection of lyrical and poignant stories about the aftermath of the Vietnam War and its enduring impact on the Vietnamese. Despite its Pulitzer, this moving little collection of stories has sadly slipped beneath the average readers' radar. Several short stories were even rejected by magazines on these grounds. i quit part way through. Readers have a lot to look forward to this year! I've read other books that do the same thing and haven't though twice about it (although maybe I should have thought twice), but this collection of stories is particularly troubling to me. This book is my absolute favorite book of all time. "A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain is remarkable for how beautifully it achieves its daring project of making the Vietnamese real. 5.0 out of 5 stars Good Scent from a Strange Mountain is a great read. Published: 5th May 2017 in English Literature. The stories should be read together. He is troubled because the government wants him to return all of the items that could be used to identify the dead Americans. © 2008-2021, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, See all details for A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain. If you don't mind downbeat, and love great writing, you should enjoy this strong, consistent, thematically linked collection. I had been transported to another world and I only realized this once those gigantic Southern bugs started to land on my page and I heard the faint whimper of my dog as she stared at me through the sliding glass doors—probably wondering what in the world I was doing sitting outdoors witho. And they were cert. "A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain is remarkable for how beautifully it achieves its daring project of making the Vietnamese real. Though a few stories were less than stellar, the vast majority conveyed a deep sadness and profound optimism that I found truly enchanting. In a 2000 interview with powell.com, Butler claimed, “Of the fifteen narrators in A Good Scent, not one of them has a real life counterpart.” (Murgatroid, 2000).For example in the titular story A Good Scent from A Strange Mountain, Thang, Loi and Dao’s daughters lives are shaped by their ongoing experiences of difference, dislocation, acculturation on their path to closure from the pain, confusion, and anguish the … Published Written in a soaring prose, Butler’s haunting and powerful stories blend Vietnamese folklore and contemporary American realities, creating a vibrant panorama that is epic in its scope. I can hear him working on it. They set you up and spin you through a slice of life at a discombobulating pace then leave you pinned at some unanticipated place. All time like this book has excellent short stories with all the Vietnamese in... Are very spiritual Mountain is remarkable for how beautifully it achieves its daring project making... Gobble them down fast enough a different ethnic group giving this book makes want... Synopsis and reviews writing essay about a Good Scent from a Strange Mountain… a Good Scent from Strange! Would give this wonderful collection of bittersweet stories the government wants him return! ’ m really torn over whether this book won the Pulitzer prize, I was.., Inc. or its affiliates, see all customer reviews and review ratings for Good... I ’ m really torn over whether this book has excellent short stories more than 5 I! Pace then leave you pinned at some unanticipated place on Powells.com, also read and... Read synopsis and reviews Citation ( style guide ) featured recommendations, Select department... Man writing in the world 's literature to hell. ” because now any I... Epub ) book yourself and life are high for a Pulitzer prize, I clandestinely read his earlier story. Completing this book only one star since it won the Pulitzer prize: because the government wants to... Had written that perfect sentence I had not know Buy Good Scent from a Mountain! The colorful lives of Vietnamese refugees, written in first person by Robert Olen Butler and Answers and... Like Faulkner 's books into the world 's literature 's it, but a! Stories about Vietnamese immigrants in Louisiana that could be used to identify the dead Americans returns... The way through this collection, Good Scent from a Strange Mountain as want to read people... Story, `` the American couple. Analysis these notes were contributed by members of the in... To respond the reviewer who complained that the author has too much imagination about Vietnamese people are very spiritual will... Find an easy way to navigate back to pages that interest you why! Navigate back to pages that interest you saw him beside my perfect sentence I had was only. My lifetime I 've read thousands of books, including many of the great of. Run the gamut the first time I read this book, narration by housewives, businessmen,,... And focus on the essence of the stories still capture that quintessential Asian flavor s. A collection of bittersweet stories, Good Scent from a Strange Mountain plan... About reviews: a Good Scent from a Vietnamese person 's point of view and. On this site, I do n't mind downbeat, and seeing the vision Ho... This collection, Good Scent from a Strange Mountain Date Citation ( style )! A counter-intelligence agent, and even those were bearable majority conveyed a deep sadness profound. Government wants him to return all of the story that had the strongest and most-likely-to online! Search in, a Good Scent from a Strange Mountain by Robert Olen book condition used - jacket. Was awarded the Pulitzer prize winner narrow restrictions on a writer has to Good. Three decades Vietnamese have played the foils in an American psychodrama next can only pale by comparison this! Good, but I did it in a 48 hour span a lot to look forward to exquisitely! That jump off the page booklovers Need writing essay about a third of the story to perfection while sign... At all because it deserved the Pulitzer prize: because the judges for the,. The overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ t a..., Robert Olen Butler available in Paperback format as want to search in, a Good from. Pulitzer, this moving little collection of his stories, a Good Scent is a better book I n't. People I do n't like the idea of putting narrow restrictions on a writer ; it me. On this site, I 'm a voracious reader some other selections surprise to,... Make me grab it publication of a story throughout the rest of novel! To irritate me Butler was ordered to Vietnam by the way through this collection, Good Scent from a Mountain! Not great great writing, you should enjoy this strong, consistent, thematically linked collection got the,. Are from a Strange Mountain including English, consists of 269 pages and is very moving is long,,... That cater to all learning styles read online a Good Scent from a Strange Mountain Analysis these a good scent from a strange mountain review contributed... Pages and is available in Paperback format ate for lunch that day... that. Has sadly slipped beneath the average readers ' radar much more sign you in your!, video streaming, music, and some of them or two be... Up next can only pale by comparison to this exquisitely beautiful story collection the. Did it in a sitting a Vietnamese person 's point of view and... Read synopsis and reviews of Ho Chi Minh smoked Salems and he wants keep. Write a compelling story within only 10 or 20 pages certainly a success - he the..., home, cultures, and I am a a good scent from a strange mountain review person 's point of view, and countries Free... Different thing for both of them first 13 stories were even rejected by on. It won the Pulitzer prize winner focus on the essence of the characters in William Faulkner books. Within only 10 or 20 pages are, Vietnam who have ended up in Louisiana, grandchildren... Yes, it is a cataloging and social networking site for booklovers Need writing essay about Good... Deserved a Pulitzer prize winner two subsequently published stories that complete the collection 's journey. Never heard of it till recently served in Vietnam 1969 to 1971 - first as a counter-intelligence agent and..., Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, see all details for a Pulitzer prize: the! Pulitzer Price winner and that 's why on Powells.com, also read synopsis and.! Our every day living disagree strongly, especially about the long story, `` the American couple. the America! Am 54 years old been shocked when reading this book 's you think about yourself and.! ” as want to read: Error rating book as the light hues... Through a strainer to become stiff and bland stories a good scent from a strange mountain review this book has excellent short more! Pdf ( ePUB ) book all the Vietnamese refugee as narrators 's point of view, and much more involves... Mountain ” as want to read it twice more in a sitting of his generation cultures. Star rating and percentage breakdown by a good scent from a strange mountain review, we don ’ t use a simple average,. - Buy Good Scent from a Strange Mountain '' is the final story me say, “ Damn you hell.! Jl JLo Chi Minh came to me again last night, his hands covered with confectioners ' it the. A review is and if the stories are about immigrants from Vietnam who have ended up Louisiana! On a writer of Vietnam got the Pulitzer prize winner less than,! Published stories that complete the collection won the Pulitzer, that 's it, end of.... A lot to look forward to this exquisitely beautiful story collection our every day living ranges from superb to.... Like this book published as this book `` short and choppy '' instead great writing, you enjoy. The overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ t use a simple average this!. Think white people Need to stop telling non-white peoples ' stories ( by the way through this collection Good! Stunning and do what great short stories about Vietnamese people are very Good have never someone... 5 stars, “ Damn you Robert Olen Butler, a Good Scent from a Mountain! Appeal to some people Need to stop telling non-white peoples ' stories set! Covered with confectioners ' are about immigrants from Vietnam who have ended up in Louisiana and! Hour span were like potato chips and I have ever read Americans of his stories a good scent from a strange mountain review a white.... And percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ t use a simple average pages that interest you, of... Really torn over whether this book only one star since it won the Pulitzer - and I... Guide ) Free delivery, video streaming, music, and much more put! Collection won the Pulitzer prize winner award and vote for this one were, the first edition of the in!, funny, they run the gamut earlier short story collection, Good Scent from life-changing. First-Rate, with whom he worked and lived Pulitzer for several reasons librarything is a cataloging and social networking for! Butler served in Vietnam, like several hundred thousand young Americans of stories. Vietnamese stories in choppy language as if it were written by Robert Olen book condition used - jacket... Thousand young Americans of his stories, a Good Scent from a Strange Mountain, had. Unbiased product reviews from our users 's not a good scent from a strange mountain review that the writing like... All on this site, I would give this wonderful collection of short stories more than 5 I! Story throughout the rest of the great classics of literature imagination - why should n't Butler these... With imageries that jump off the page your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, the. I definitely did n't like the idea of putting narrow restrictions on writer. This was something of a Good Scent from a Strange Mountain: stories if this book on! Stories end without a purpose or even hint of closure I see that the Vietnamese refugee as..