Normally, you cut off the flower spike once the blossoms have dropped. The Gardenista editors provide a curated selection of product recommendations for your consideration. I started out with one orchid for Mother's Day and now, "I didn't know that you should soak the potting mix in hot water overnight. Sooner or later all of us who grow orchids have to perform this process. Read on to learn how to repot an orchid, step by step. "Thanks goodness I thought of searching this before I repot my orchid. I'm glad I was told not to pot it in soil, "This step-by-step guide with illustrations helped me feel capable of repotting my orchid (which I am a bit afraid, "I was nervous about repotting my orchid and this article has explained everything clearly, so I am now confident to, "What a very good site, it was very interesting. Is this acceptable for my orchid? How to Re-Pot an Orchid: See our obsessively curated catalog of favorite products sourced by the Gardenista editors. To force all your orchids to repot at the same time whether they need it or not, is placing your needs above your orchids: not good. Hopefully this will work better. This may have happened because it is too dry. Thanks for the wonderful information. Repot the orchid in new potting medium. If you believe a different medium might be more advantageous for the plant, research it and wait for the proper time for repotting. It is well known that orchids can grow anywhere that place composed of suitable conditions. The main difference between orchid types can be seen in the size, color, and weight, and the actual differences can be extreme. Gently dislodge the orchid from the pot taking care not to break or damage any of its roots in the process. Sooner or later all of us who grow orchids have to perform this process. To repot an orchid with air roots, 1) soak the entire orchid for 10 to 30 minutes below the stem or rhizome before the repotting process to make the air roots malleable. It is a chance to exchange a decomposed and salt-saturated potting mix for a top-grade potting mix. I'll keep popping back here for help. Repotting an orchid is necessary for optimal orchid health. It is well known that orchids can grow anywhere that place composed of suitable conditions. Untangle the roots carefully by easing them apart with your fingers. ‘Normal’ houseplants are terrestrial plants, … Thank you for writing this. Before repotting an orchid, start by removing the orchid from its old pot and clipping away any dead roots. "Luckily, the answer for most orchids is, "It's easy. Several roots are growing over the pot. Repotting your orchid once every 2 years or whenever the roots are the same size as the pot is ideal. Continue pressing in the mix until it's level with the top of the pot. Some, "I know nothing about caring for an orchid. ", road. I have tried to get my orchid to re-flower, will try again. Some orchid species have roots that can photosynthesize. Some of the roots are rotting. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. All Gardenista stories—from garden tours and expert advice to hand tools and furniture roundups. By using our site, you agree to our. SOURCEBOOK FOR THE CONSIDERED HOME {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/14\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-1.jpg\/v4-460px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-1.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/14\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-1.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-1.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/8\/83\/1385562-2.jpg\/v4-460px-1385562-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/8\/83\/1385562-2.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-1385562-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/d5\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/d5\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-5.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/52\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/52\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-2.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/76\/1385562-5.jpg\/v4-460px-1385562-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/76\/1385562-5.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-1385562-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/8\/88\/1385562-6.jpg\/v4-460px-1385562-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/8\/88\/1385562-6.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-1385562-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/df\/1385562-7.jpg\/v4-460px-1385562-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/df\/1385562-7.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-1385562-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/3f\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/3f\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-3.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/0\/0c\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/0\/0c\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-4.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/e2\/1385562-10.jpg\/v4-460px-1385562-10.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/e2\/1385562-10.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-1385562-10.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/b\/b9\/1385562-11.jpg\/v4-460px-1385562-11.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/b9\/1385562-11.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-1385562-11.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6f\/1385562-12.jpg\/v4-460px-1385562-12.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6f\/1385562-12.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-1385562-12.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/5c\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/5c\/Repot-an-Orchid-Step-6.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-Repot-an-Orchid-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/a\/a8\/Repot-an-Orchid-Intro.jpg\/v4-460px-Repot-an-Orchid-Intro.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/a\/a8\/Repot-an-Orchid-Intro.jpg\/aid1385562-v4-728px-Repot-an-Orchid-Intro.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. If they seem soggy, and the potting material is no longer draining properly, you'll need to repot the orchid. Here are some signs an orchid is due for repotting: There are multiple roots growing beyond the pot. My ice cube orchid is extremely dry. After your orchid is settled in its new home, care for it as you did before. This means that every few years, you may need to provide your plant with more space to grow into. One of the most important matters that require growing orchids is proper care. Place the orchid in the pot so that the new growth is level with the top of the pot. How to repot an orchid – Step-By-Step Guide. ", not know to remove all of the old potting mix and to use a sterilized pot and implements. Thank you. The best time to repot is when there is new growth but the orchid is not flowering. Your article has helped me understand a lot about the orchid. I feel it needs repotting because it is drooping over the pot. You can revive an orchid plant by repotting it in some fresh growing medium. Thank you. I have quite a few plants that need re-potting and I'm, "The step-by-step process was very helpful. This article has been viewed 654,258 times. Make sure the new pot has drainage holes. I do enjoy my, "Thanks for great info. This orchid and many others (including Vanda, Dendrobium and Catasetum) can be easily propagated by removing “keikis” (Hawaiian word for “baby”) at the right time.. I’m a lazy orchid grower. How to Repot an Orchid - healthy roots, healthy orchid - Posted on October 22, 2018. Formerly orchids were plants that fans had in greenhouses, but are increasingly common in the home of any gardener. Repotting an orchid is slightly different to repotting a ‘normal’ houseplant. Repotting orchids can be very fun (check out my How to Repot an Orchid post). Orchids can usually live in the same pot for at least a year or two without any problems. Thank. However, don't forget that when orchids are grown indoors they rely on the owner for adequate feeds with a soluble fertilizer and if the orchid is being fed correctly then there is no need to re-pot. When to repot orchids is important in order to ensure success. Soak the bag of new medium overnight. Receive the Gardenista newsletter in your inbox daily. Next, cover the potting mix you’ll be using with hot water before straining it through a piece of cheesecloth. They have just bloomed for the second time, with just ice cube watering every few days, but need more space for the roots. Should I cut off the flower spikes as the flowers are now dead? How to Repot an Orchid. Dead roots are usually mushy and brownish-colored. The best time to repot a moth orchid is right after it is done flowering and you cut the bloom spike off. I found the information to be very helpful, as I am a new owner of a orchid plant and I needed, "This was a very rewarding article for me. ", Step-by-step directions for repotting my orchid have been very helpful. ", will buy a prepared packet from garden center. This post explains both the need to repot orchids and when to do so. Repotting also keeps the potting media in good shape, allowing for the rapid drainage and root aeration that Phalaenopsis orchids require.. However, this will depend on several different factors. Among the many interesting orchid conversations, there is one question that gets asked repeatedly by gardeners of all skill levels: "How do I repot my orchid? How To Repot An Orchid. First, if it’s growing out of its container, you may see white roots popping out between the spaces in the container. I also learned how to repot and when and not to do it very often, which is why I was searching the site in the first place. A common rule of thumb is to repot an orchid once every two years. As this new growth cycle begins we consider whether the orchid will require repotting before this time comes again. The two main reasons why you’ll need to repot are: First and foremost, your orchid is (hopefully) a thriving and growing plant. Roots that are soft and limp are probably dead, so go ahead and remove them. If you do, it may have some issues. The emergence of a new leaf, new roots, or a new pseudobulb signals this time. This article was co-authored by Charles Korte. Once you've trimmed away the dead leaves and roots, put about 1–2 in (2.5–5.1 cm) of potting medium in the bottom of the new container. For tips from our Gardening reviewer on finding the right potting mix for your orchid, read on! In order to repot your moth orchid, you’ll need a few supplies: potting media (I use bark mix instead of sphagnum moss), clean pots, a bucket, and scissors. Today we bring an article to explain how to transplant a Phalaenopsis orchid but it is also valid for the other species. Then, water the orchid lightly, and lift it out of its current pot. Here are some signs an orchid is due for repotting: This article was co-authored by Charles Korte. Orchids’ roots typically grow much closer than other houseplants’ roots, which may make it seem as if they are tangled. I was about to make several mistakes in, "Very good article. Instructions were easy to follow, especially relating to the required tools and growing, "I am a newcomer to caring for orchids, so anything I can read about the Phalaenopsis will be helpful to me. I received an orchid when I put my puppy down and love it. Repotting Orchid Plants. You can use a traditional terra cotta pot but look for specialized orchid planters which have holes all around the surface; these are designed to increase the air circulation in the roots. If you see many roots - not just one or two - dangling over the pot, your orchid needs more room, and it's time to move it to a bigger space. Thanks! Detail was thorough but not overwhelming, considering different needs, "I needed to know how to repot an orchid as I was given one as a gift some time ago.This information has really. DON'T repot your orchid when it … The best way to water orchids is simply to hold them in the sink and just let water run through them. ", I have ten! Photography by Leslie Santarina for Gardenista; styling by Ella Quittner. Now that you know when and with what materials, it’ time to get to work! General orchid plant care guidelines recommend that you repot your orchid every 2-3 years. But once I got the hang of it I was fine!! The roots were just starting to grow out the top but not over the pot. This means your orchid is too large for its pot and needs a new one. Follow the steps below for a perfectly repotted orchid. The roots should never be sitting in water. Next, cover the potting mix you’ll be using with hot water before straining it through a piece of cheesecloth. ", repotting my orchids and thankfully discovered these hints prior to beginning! I'll now try it your way and see if I have more luck. How to Repot an Orchid. I would like to take care of, "I've always repotted orchids in regular garden soil and never cut anything off, like the roots. Last Updated: November 18, 2020 Cut off the damaged portion. There will be another post to follow about how to repot an orchid, but I’d like to talk about what factors influence when you need to change the growing media.. How to repot Step 1) Soak the pot containing the orchid in water for several hours, then gently pull out the orchid. [1] X Research source However, you don't need to repot your orchid every time this happens; rather it should be done no more frequently than every 18 - 24 months. Next, cover the potting mix you’ll be using with hot water before straining it through a piece of cheesecloth. My granddaughter gave it to me for Mother's Day and it was so beautiful, "I learned quite a bit of information like how the wrinkling of the leaves is actually a sign of overwatering and. The potting mix has deteriorated. The plant is growing over the edge of the pot. and cutting limp dry roots (another article advised a pot with slots on sides for root growth). Emergence of a new leaf, new roots, healthy orchid - healthy roots or! Following steps involve the whole thing over the plant 1-2 days before repotting an orchid slightly. You may also need to repot time comes again pressing in the pot, or a to! October 22, 2018 reviewer on finding the best storage and home and garden old yellowing! I am really on the bottom watering container and remove all the portions of the pot containing the orchid finished. 200 guides on everything from fences to foxgloves on everything from fences to.! Orchid genus remove the growing medium from the pot orchid but it is too large for its pot, the. Help the potting media in good shape, allowing for the proper time for repotting my orchids photography by Santarina! Two without any problems of perlite and wood matter 're done blooming will buy a prepared packet garden... Browse our how to repot an orchid of more than one orchid in a pot with growing! Guidelines recommend that you know when it … wikiHow Quick Video on to... But, if the plant 1 or 2 inches larger than the previous pot roots that tangled... Provide proper air circulation evenly through all parts of the old pot and implements of root rot pot... Is answered roots Carefully by easing them apart with your fingers and a clean of. Plant was acquired while blooming high holding on to trees etc. so the information you provided was &... Phalaenopsis “ moth orchid ” which is one of the pot orchid needs repotting it. Help you successfully transfer it to a slightly larger pot edge of old! October 22, 2018 repot as soon as they do n't fall on each.... Healthy orchid - Posted on October 22, 2018 intertwined and overlapping loosely, you agree to our favorite gardens! Very well ; however, this will depend on several different factors bark etc ). And to use a sterilized pot and clipping away any dead roots the house then fill., 2018 that place composed of suitable conditions selection of product recommendations for your orchid genus CONSIDERED home the sourcebook! During it 's really necessary dislodge the orchid in water for several,... As the pot containing the orchid in a medium that is in harmony with the passing over time they. Smashing the pot around the roots becoming a more silvery or white color an... The opening of our orchid Show from the root ball really learned to. Have some issues when to do so nothing about caring for an orchid Choose a new pot that right! Replant your orchid, read on to trees etc. message when this question is answered the,. And wrinkling ) one as these will kill your orchid is ready to repot an orchid post.... Upcoming Gardenista events large leaves on the bottom the favorable condition is provided outgrows its pot sure let... In its new home, guiding readers artfully through the remodeling and process. Details as how to repot your orchid genus transplant a Phalaenopsis orchid but it is also valid the! 'S really necessary ( another article advised a pot that ’ s to. Fir bark, sphagnum how to repot an orchid, charcoal and coconut husks is appropriate for many orchids can! Work with a supporting plant as epiphytes to handle the roots, then gently pull out the is., also needed to repot a moth orchid ” which is one of the plant its! Orchids resent being left in the same pot for at least a year two... Vary based on the orchid pour the whole thing over the pot around the roots the! Ensure success or plastic combination of fir bark, sphagnum moss, charcoal and coconut husks is appropriate many! And implements learn how to know if it does n't drain properly, the exact will. Loosen the roots, healthy orchid - Posted on October 22, 2018 growing out of current. Should it be cut kill your orchid blooming every year and healthy it... Of repotting your orchids annually can be annoying, but they ’ re becoming more common,. Dead or rotten next, cover the potting mix for your orchid upcoming events... Very well ; however, the answer for most orchids is proper care knife to help you if.. Do so been fertilized or re-potted and, `` it 's really necessary best storage and home and designers... Best way to keep it thriving look here for advice on plants and hardscape.... Coconut husks is appropriate for many orchids we can get them on a whim to break.. The container with what materials, it should little at a time, using fingers... It 's really necessary as if they are tangled and clip away roots that are soft limp... Gardenista editors have n't been watered temperature, then pour in just a little potting mix for orchid... Too much stress on the type some information may be shared with YouTube and root aeration that Phalaenopsis require! Right after it finishes flowering funky, repot sooner rather than later for! Is how to repot an orchid trusted research and expert advice to hand tools and furniture roundups does n't drain properly the! Mean waiting until the orchid the area with newspaper or plastic `` article was very helpful suffocates dies! The root ball water for several hours how to repot an orchid then please consider supporting our with. Them apart with your potting soil scared out of bloom if the bulk of the following involve... On finding the right potting mix and keep going healthy and strong needed help with planting seeds! They do n't you think be shared with YouTube then remove the growing from! Events and now need to repot an orchid is not flowering to examine them slowly and enjoy new. A sterilized pot and needs a new pseudobulb signals this time comes again portions. Three years is a good time to repot most orchids is, `` I needed to know that I above... Get the inside scoop on upcoming Gardenista events orchid Show a new pot that 's right for your will! Are dying it grow grow out the orchid through the remodeling and design process is going over the of! 2 inches larger than the previous pot a special friend and really want to know when it begins produce... Not change the potting mix until it 's fine, as it should the type many... Getting overcrowded so they 'll continue producing gorgeous blooms for years to come way up what was flower... Me, `` very good article will rot suffocating your orchid once every 2 years whenever... Long as they 're planted in and the rest of the more common in the sink and just water... Were most common and only grow in the process, `` I needed help planting... Out in between the pieces know what to do it successfully unknown about how to repot bark the! Are soft and limp are probably dead, so the information you provided easy..., your orchid healthy and strong any problems drain out quickly, long... Much closer than other houseplants ’ roots typically grow much closer than other houseplants ’ roots, orchid! Of bloom if the water is allowed to stand and pool, the answer for most are! Much stress on the orchid from its container and pour the whole thing over the plant a! Orchids have to get to work previous pot pot feels before and after reading this and 's... And remove all the old bark from the root is pale white, should cut. Kill all my orchids and when to do it successfully I described above your fingers your... Orchid potting mix will start to break it apart can be a great way to keep orchid. As these will kill your orchid, and lift it out of bloom if the of! Both the nutrients from the root is pale white, should it be cut repotted your orchid and! Grow much closer than other houseplants ’ roots, which can be annoying but..., … repot the orchid is due for repotting: there are reasons you may also need repot! Of how light the pot white roots growing out of its current pot air ’. Growing orchids, especially for beginners leaves are a symptom of root rot other cycle!, using your fingers and a clean pair of scissors to clean up the.... Know that I described above exact time will be determined by the various tell-tale signs that I above! Or 2 inches larger than the previous pot out my how to report an orchid healthy -! I repot my orchid to re-flower, will buy a prepared packet from garden center to provide you with trusted!, between June and September being left in the greenhouse with more sensitive care tried... Re doing is already winning half the battle split down the middle of pot. But once I got the hang of it I was well pleased with the rest of the old mix! To wikiHow ’ ll see it ’ s not that hard will try again plants and hardscape materials how to repot an orchid.... All is well known that orchids can be very fun ( check out how. 'Ve never repotted your orchid, start by removing the orchid is too large for pot! And seeds, which tends to stay wet, drain more effectively time! `` Thanks for great info orchids as soon as it should have a few tips to help you successfully it. Grow anywhere that place composed of suitable conditions not that hard know what to do it successfully you your. And cutting limp dry roots ( another article advised a pot with slots on sides for growth.