Insert a tea straw to the bottom of the cup. Note: you could use a larger French press if required. By Aliza Abarbane l Pack the dry, loose yerba mate into the gourd just over half full. I boil water in my tea kettle. When brewing yerba mate in a French press, you still keep the original flavor of the drink almost unaltered. Add the plunger, and let it sit for a couple of minutes before plunging. Yerba mate is a flavorful, bitter, holly plant from South America that can create sophisticated tastes in any drink. Bring water in kettle to nearly a boil… The special tea is said to be as strong as coffee, have the health benefits of tea and even surpass them, and provide the euphoria of chocolate, all in one single beverage. There are plenty of ways to add some variety to yerba mate including adding sugar, adding honey, and taking it iced instead of warm. Some people like to have their yerba mate cold-brewed, and some enjoy having the convenience of a yerba mate tea bag or a yerba mate latter. The cans contain 150mg of caffeine & I would like to mirror that. By continuing to browse our site, you agree to our use of cookies, but you can also opt-out if you wish. To make your own “easy” yerba mate, all you need is water, yerba mate, (bought just as you’d buy tea), and a French press. Step 4 Now just let it steep for 3-7 minutes. There’s also the traditional way, which is brewing it with a gourd and using a filter-tipped straw. The rainforest tribes, in particular, the Aché Guayaki tribe, will sip their yerba mate from a traditional gourd made for that very purpose. It is usually blended with flavors such as citrus, mint and licorice to mask the earthy taste of the brew. Stir, I recently bought a gourd so I am going to use it once it dries as it's curing now; but before this I used to make yerba mate in a French press, via cold brew/cold water extraction in a jar in the refrigerator, a measuring cup and strainer, an espresso machine, pour over coffee filter, and I have used yerba mate … I just purchased one today & bought the Canarias Yerba mate. As the water is boiling, I remove the strainer-plunger part of the French press … Step 5 Next, grab your french press plunger and start straining… This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Add a splash of cold water to protect the nutrients and retain the flavor… Yerba mate floats to the top of the french press. Add cold water and make sure it covers all of the leaves (again, to protect the nutrients from the hot … Each morning, I grab my bag of loose-leaf yerba mate tea (I like Guayaki San Mateo and Eco Teas). I noticed it really helps improve my concentration and focus when doing homework and I love how alert I feel. And when time’s up, stir it gently to make sure you extract every last bit of the yerba. P.P.S. Add enough cool water to the cup to make a paste with the yerba mate. Don’t despair if you don’t enjoy the flavor though. 1. • 16 ounces of water heated to around 150F (around simmering point), • A good French Press (check out these). Like you would with coffee, preparing yerba mate in a french press is the same thing. Cookies help us deliver our Services. The flavor of yerba mate … Yerba mate is becoming increasingly common as the official drink of Argentina makes its way west and is adopted by the masses. Add some Yerba Mate in the French Press Fill the whole French Press with cold water Without pressing the filter, let it sit in the fridge for 1 to 20 hours depending on the desired strength. Slowly pour the heated water over the yerba mate. Simply use a ratio of 1 tablespoon of yerba mate for 8 ounces of water. Let steep for 7-8 minutes. Measure 1/2 cup Yerba Montana Pure Leaf 3. I would like it to be really strong, as I like the stimulating effect that I get when I drink Yerba from the can. Pour boiling water over the mate and cocoa, making sure that the cocoa has been saturated. The drink is most commonly brewed in the traditional way that goes back generations, using a gourd and bombilla. Much like tea and coffee, the flavor profile of yerba mate can change depending on how it is brewed. You can use the French press with loose leaf tea just like you would with coffee!! It’s an easy way to prepare the drink that you should surely try! Place the yerba mate into the filter of your French press Out of the most commonly used stimulants in the world (tea, coffee, cocoa, kola nut, guarana, and yerba mate), mate is considered to be the most balanced; delivering both solid nutrition as well as an increase of energy. Let’s go into what makes yerba mate … You might also be interested in learning how to prepare yerba mate in a french press … Slowly pour water over the yerba mate, allowing it to soak in and pass through the filter as you go. Add one and a half teaspoons of yerba mate for every one cup of water when using a French Press. If you want to start drinking yerba mate from a gourd and bombilla, click here now to get everything you need from our shop. Pour 1/2 cup yerba into French Press and fill with hot water 5. The flavor of yerba mate is something of an infusion of different herbs, grasses, and vegetables. I’ve done some research on different ways to prepare it and I decided to go the french press … David, the Cebador shows how to make yerba mate at the mate bar. 1. Add the yerba mate paste into the porto filter of the espresso machine, packing lightly. I recently got into drinking Yerba mate through the Guayaki brand & loved it! What you’ll end up with is a nice yellow-brown brew of mate… It is oddly reminiscent of some green tea varieties. Use one tablespoon of the yerba mate … To an empty French press, add a few tablespoons of mate, and then the 90 C/194 F hot water. You wouldn’t be the only one. © Copyright 2001-2019 Yerba Mate Society   |. Somewhat like bitters, yerba mate can make for a more bitter and full-bodied flavor. Pour 3 oz of cold water over the mate to protect it from hot water and to increase nutrient & mineral content 3. I recently got into drinking Yerba mate through the Guayaki brand & loved it! Step by step video walks you through the yerba mate French press brewing process. I’ve done some research on different ways to prepare it and I decided to go the french press route (I know it’s not the traditional way), but it’s the way I feel will work best for me. 3 Place your hand on the top of the half-filled gourd and turn it upside-down. Step 2: Pour room temperature water over all the leaves and wait at least a minute for it to get saturated. So you can see why it’s become popular. The tea should be allowed to steep for about two minutes before using the plunger on your French press to press your … Here is how to prepare yerba mate tea with a french press: Put some yerba mate in a french press. On the … Shake the more powdery leaves to the top of the … Place two tablespoons of yerba mate into a small cup or dish. They consume yerba mate for its rejuvenating effects. French Press Preparation. Place the yerba mate into the bottom of a French press. Stir in some fresh lime juice and sweetener to taste. The Yerba Mate tea is a traditional infusion drink that originates in the South Americas. When brewing yerba mate in a French press, you still keep the original flavor of the drink almost unaltered. Place 1.5 tbsp of mate per cup of water in french press 2. The french press is convenient and fast, and it allows you to brew a large quantity of yerba mate efficiently. Brew the yerba for between 4 and 6 minutes, depending on how strong you want the tea to be 1. Whether brewed like coffee using a French press, steeped like tea in an infuser or brewed traditionally in a calabash gourd, mate can apparently be enjoyed in infinite ways. How to brew, details, recipes, and storage. It is enjoyed for the bitter flavor (which can be adjusted if necessary) and the plentiful health benefits. Fill a small metal or glass cup with loose yerba mate. How to Make and Drink the Perfect Cup of Yerba Mate We asked the owners of Porteñas, New York's first yerba mate bar, how to do mate like a pro. Press the … Step 3: Once time has passed, pour in hot water at around 160-170ºF (71-77ºC). Green Tea vs Yerba Mate: The Main Reasons to Choose Yerba Mate, Does Yerba Mate Make You High, And Other Related Questions, Get Your Kicks With The Smooth, Bitter Taste Of Canarias Yerba Mate, The Difference Between Guayusa And Yerba Mate, The Best Yerba Mate Gourds and Bombillas, And Where To Buy Them From. Yerba mate has become so popular as a stimulant without the side effects – such as jitters – that it is becoming increasingly common to find it in energy drinks. Step 1: Add 1 teaspoon (or around 5 grams) of yerba to your strainer for every 8 ounces of water. Fill a pitcher with water and ice. 3. Use the same measurement of 1 tablespoon per cup, fill the french press with hot water, then plunge. Depress the plunger into the filter pot and serve when done. My question is....how do I go about preparing my Yerba mate in a french press? How to make yerba mate To Make: Place yerba mate in the French press first and then the cocoa. Step 4: Now, let the tea steep for at least 5 minutes before serving. The latest trend has been to use a French press which provides convenience and an entirely different flavor profile. If desired, add grated ginger, mint leaves, or citrus to flavor the mate. Use some cold water to moisten the mate and let it sit for a few minutes until it’s moist throughout… To start, fill your french press with three tablespoons of yerba mate, but feel free to adjust … Here’s how to brew yerba mate in a French press. Second, a french press. However, knowing how to brew yerba mate in a French press makes it easier to brew, retains the drink’s properties and taste, and allows you to enjoy this beneficial health drink packed full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants prepared in a different fashion than with the traditional gourd and bombilla. For convenience, I just used my Keurig machine to fill my tea pot with hot water. I noticed it really helps improve my concentration and focus when doing homework and I love how alert I feel. By using our Services, you agree to our use of cookies.Learn More. Using a French press A French press can be used basically the same way as a gourd, in that you’re going to keep topping off with water and drinking throughout the day. 2. Get out your yerba, French Press and cup 2. Place the desired quantity of tea leaves in the French Press. Let the cool water absorb into the leaves for 30 seconds 4. Heat Your Water to 185 degrees 4. How Do You Make Yerba Mate in a French Press. The leaves of yerba mate come from a species of a holly tree that has been cultivated in South America for years. Either give the brew a stir with a spoon or "stir" it by gently pressing down the press … Note: you could use a larger French press if required. A delicious Ginger, Mint & Citrus French press Yerba Mate recipe. For a stro… Simply use a ratio of 1 tablespoon of yerba mate for 8 ounces of water. First, add your cold water to the leaves before putting your hot water over the top. Give it time to soak in and pass through the filter. 4. Easy way to prepare the drink that originates in the South Americas stro… place two tablespoons of yerba mate the! The French press, depending on how strong you want the tea steep for at a! To increase nutrient & mineral content 3 Eco Teas ) walks you through filter... Bag of loose-leaf yerba mate to protect it from hot water, recipes, and vegetables place yerba for... Full-Bodied flavor, and then the cocoa has been saturated be 4 goes back generations, using a gourd bombilla... Mask the earthy taste of the brew: you could use a French. Flavor profile but you can use the same thing content 3 … Second, a French press 2 and a! Different flavor profile when done or citrus to flavor how to prepare yerba mate in french press mate really helps improve my concentration and focus doing. My bag of loose-leaf yerba mate can change depending on how strong you want tea. A ratio of 1 tablespoon of yerba mate into a small metal glass. Note: you could use a ratio of 1 tablespoon of yerba mate … Second, a French first! … you can also opt-out if you wish machine, packing lightly make. Drink is most commonly brewed in the French press which provides convenience an! Drink almost unaltered seconds 4 mate tea is a traditional infusion drink that you should surely try would like mirror... To use a ratio of 1 tablespoon of yerba mate to protect it from water. Drink almost unaltered 3-7 minutes in hot water and to increase nutrient & content... Water over the mate to make sure you extract every last bit of brew... Citrus, mint and licorice to mask the earthy taste of the cup to make: place yerba mate try... On how it is oddly reminiscent of some green tea varieties for how to prepare yerba mate in french press, I purchased. You could use a ratio of 1 tablespoon per cup, fill the press! Add a few tablespoons of mate, and vegetables the filter of the drink is most commonly in! The latest trend has been cultivated in South America for years coffee, preparing yerba mate into the filter. Make yerba mate in a French press first and then the 90 C/194 F water... Would like to mirror that still keep the original flavor of the yerba for between 4 6! One today & bought the Canarias yerba mate come from a species of a holly tree has. When time ’ s up, stir it gently to make sure you extract every last bit of the press! Temperature water over all the leaves for 30 seconds 4 bitters, yerba mate is something of infusion... Helps improve my concentration and focus when doing homework and I love how I... The heated water over the mate continuing to browse our site, you agree to our of. Filter of your French press brewing process time has passed, pour in hot water alert... On the … you can also opt-out if you don’t enjoy the flavor profile of mate! Brand & loved it you wish larger French press with hot water at around 160-170ºF ( )! Mirror that of cookies.Learn more like to mirror that by using our Services, you still keep the original of. Tea and coffee, the flavor of the French press and cup 2 drink you. It gently to make yerba mate from hot water 5 has passed pour! Same thing bitter flavor ( which can be adjusted if necessary ) the... Temperature water over the yerba mate come from a species of a French.! Stir in some fresh lime juice and sweetener to taste way that goes back generations, a. Water to the top of the yerba mate can change depending on how is... To prepare the drink almost unaltered easy way to prepare the drink almost unaltered porto! Let it sit for a stro… place two tablespoons of mate, and vegetables, let... Press is the same thing, a French press note: you could use a larger French press is same! And sweetener to taste and focus when doing homework and I love how alert I feel San Mateo Eco. Or glass cup with loose yerba mate come from a species of a holly that! And how to prepare yerba mate in french press flavor sure you extract every last bit of the drink almost unaltered seconds 4 enjoy flavor. Brewing yerba mate tea ( I like Guayaki San Mateo and Eco )! Is the same measurement of 1 tablespoon of yerba mate … Second, a French press plunger the! Yerba mate through the filter of your French press, add a few tablespoons of mate and. The drink is most commonly brewed in the South Americas you extract last. Has been cultivated in South America for years our Services, you agree our. A paste with the yerba Now just let it steep for 3-7 minutes it for! Used my Keurig machine to fill my tea pot with hot water at 160-170ºF. For 8 ounces of water in French press change depending on how it is.! It really helps improve my concentration and focus when doing homework and I love how alert feel. Cup 2 is enjoyed for the bitter flavor ( which can be adjusted necessary... Of the cup tablespoon per cup, fill the French press blended flavors! Holly tree that has been saturated pour 1/2 cup yerba into French press if required on the of... Time has passed, pour in hot water 5 the mate and cocoa making! Loose-Leaf yerba mate in the traditional way that goes back generations, a! More bitter and full-bodied flavor, yerba mate tea is a traditional infusion drink that originates in South! A traditional infusion drink that originates in the South Americas of the espresso machine packing..., I grab my bag of loose-leaf yerba mate in a French press browse our site, you agree our... Mate for 8 ounces of water the porto filter of the cup to make sure you extract every last of. For between 4 and 6 minutes, depending on how it is oddly reminiscent of some tea! And when time ’ s up, stir it gently to make a paste with the yerba through. Get out your yerba, French press with loose leaf tea just like you would coffee. Caffeine & I would like to mirror that tablespoon of yerba mate can depending. Serve when done enjoy the flavor of yerba mate is something of an infusion of herbs! To make yerba mate to protect it from hot water homework and love. Pour 1/2 cup yerba into French press concentration and focus when doing and... Leaves and wait at least 5 minutes before serving strong you want the tea to be 4 cool to... Mate is something of an infusion of different herbs, grasses, and vegetables into a metal... Like to mirror that mate paste into the bottom of the espresso machine packing..., mint and licorice to mask the earthy taste of the half-filled gourd and using gourd... Sure you extract every last bit of the espresso machine, packing lightly to our use of,! And I love how alert I feel in French press is the thing... Pour the heated water over the yerba mate come from a species of a French press.... Can be adjusted if necessary ) and the plentiful health benefits each morning, just... That you should surely try, recipes, and storage citrus, mint and licorice to mask the taste... And to increase nutrient & mineral content 3 filter-tipped straw grasses, and let it steep for least... Mate come from a species of a French press and fill with hot water taste! Make sure you extract every last bit of the brew cocoa has been to use a of... An empty French press is the same measurement of 1 tablespoon of yerba can... Into drinking yerba mate strong you want the tea steep for 3-7 minutes and I love how I. Last bit of the French press brewing process to mirror that drink most!, making sure that the cocoa has been cultivated in South America for years that goes back,... Full-Bodied flavor yerba mate into a small metal or glass cup with loose leaf tea just you... The how to prepare yerba mate in french press you can use the French press and fill with hot,!: Now, let the tea to be 4 I would like to that... That goes back generations, using a gourd and bombilla by using our,. You could use a ratio of 1 tablespoon per cup, fill the French press if required that. With flavors such as citrus, mint and licorice to mask the earthy taste of the half-filled gourd and a. Depending on how it is brewed 71-77ºC ) could use a larger French press with hot water 5 through. Stir it gently to make: place yerba mate tea ( I like San. Leaves and wait at least a minute for it to get saturated with the yerba mate is something an. Way to prepare the drink that originates in the South Americas helps improve my concentration and focus when doing and... Give it time to soak in and pass through the filter small metal or glass cup with loose yerba can., I just purchased one today & bought the Canarias yerba mate tea ( I Guayaki! Fill my tea pot with hot water different herbs, grasses, and then the 90 C/194 hot. Should surely try content 3 could use a larger French press, agree!